The History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas,
Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri, published by The
Goodspeed Publishing Co. in 1889
the county seat of Webster County, is situated on the St. Louis
& San Francisco Railroad, 212 miles from St. Louis. This town,
with a population of 1,000, is located on the summit of the Ozark
Range, as eligible and beautiful a site as any in Missouri; is
1,505 feet above the sea level, 1,081 feet above St. Louis, 223
feet above Lebanon, its neighboring town on the east, and 142 feet
above Springfield, its neighboring town on the west. It is
therefore the highest point in Missouri, except Cedar Gap, in
Wright County, and among the most beautiful and pleasant of
population in June, 1880, was 815, but a few months before the
number of inhabitants was over 1,000, which is now a little under
the true number of residents.
May 28, 1856, the court instructed Wright Holland to lay off the
county seat on a square in the southeast corner of the ten acres
apportioned; west and north of that a tract of four acres for a
public square; three north and south streets, sixty feet wide, of
which the two outside were to lead through the square, and the
center one to lead up to and in front of the public square; and
three east and west streets, bearing the same relation to the
square, lots to be laid off oblong, about sixty feet facing the
square, with a depth of 120 feet. At this time the commissioner
was instructed to donate ten acres to the Pacific Railroad
Company, and to advertise in the Springfield Advertiser the
auction of lots at Marshfield on August 11, 1856. Prospect Row,
Hermitage Row, Mount Vernou Row, were the names given to the
streets on which lots were offered, and the court fixed the price
of such lots at from $20 to $40.
survey of the town was commenced June 23, 1856, by Richard H.
Pitts, surveyor; C. W. Robinson and James Smith, chainmen, and G.
W. Thompson, assistant chain-man. The sixty acres on the northwest
quarter of Section 10, Township 30, Range 18, were donated by
William T. Burford and B. F. T. Burford & Co. for the purposes
of the county seat of Webster. The survey was completed July 29,
and acknowledged by Wright Holland, county seat commissioner, for
himself and Constantine F. Dryden, the preacher (whose connection
with the business is not made clear), W. T. Burford and B. F.
Burford & Co.
diagram or plat shows the public square one block south of the
northern line, with Jefferson Street bounding it on the north,
Madison Street on the south, Clay Street on the west and
Crittenden Street on the east. The only street shown east of
Crittenden is named Fulton Alley, which runs from the northern
line into the grounds reserved for railroad depot purposes.
Marshall Avenue runs north and south from the center of the public
square, while Washington Avenue leads out from it east and west.
Jackson Street parallels Madison Street as far east as the depot
grounds. The width of Jackson is sixty-seven feet, while Madison,
Washington and Jefferson are sixty-six feet, and Crittenden,
Marshall and Clay fifty-four feet in width. The rows, or east and
west alleys, are named Prospect, Monticello, Mount Vernon,
Hermitage, Hickory and Valley, the railroad right-of-way being
marked on or adjacent to the last named alley.
Sale of Lots
sale of town lots by auction took place August 11, 1856, prices
ranging from $21 (about the lowest) to $261.50, the highest sum
realized for any one lot. The county seat commissioners reported
the sales and settled with the county in November following, the
proceeds amounting to $4,385.75. Payment, almost invariably, was
made in each case by secured note for one year. Among the
purchasers in Prospect Row were G. B. Maupin, Neely Pryor, J. P.
Thomas, William R. Rogers, William Caple, Louis Gibbons, A. E.
Goss, J. T. McKey, Henry King and others. Included in the list of
those who became owners of lots in Monticello Row are found the
names of P. L. Burford, J. H. Fagg, Charles W. Robinson and D. M.
Terry. Mr. Robinson, W. B. Shook, Jacob Vanzant, Daniel George and
J. E. Hollis and others also bought in Mount Vernon Row. In
Hermitage Row Denny Turner, J. E. Haymes, D. L. Burford, Leander
Cloud and William Hunt became property owners. The next December
the lots left unsold were ordered disposed of at private sale,
when many of those already mentioned indicated their faith in the
town’s future by purchasing more extensively. In addition Thomas
Wisley, Z. Young, G. P. R. and T. T. Vanzant, Cicero McGinty, R.
C. Matthews, Thomas B. Coleman, Henry King, James Triplett, John
R. Taggard, John B. Dixon, and others too numerous to mention,
invested. For negotiating these private sales the county seat
commissioners received the munificent sum of $20. In November,
1857, other lots were sold, and some of those formerly disposed of
were resold, while in December certain ones were declared
forfeited, and brought only a fraction of the original price. In
November, 1858, another series of forfeited lots were offered, and
bought by Harper Rice, Henry King, C. C. Smith, N. T. Smith, John
B. Dixon and P. L. Burford. In February, July and October, 1859,
September, 1860, March, 1861, and February, 1866, sales were also
made, prices, as a rule, being well maintained.
first lot sold at Marshfield was that to Green A. Lee, where F. W.
Moore’s store now is. In 1858 he erected a brick building there,
and in 1859 built a store building for A. E. Goss on the second
lot sold, which was purchased by that pioneer merchant.
plat of Marshfield was made December 29, 1858, for C. S. Wallis,
R. W. Fyan and James L. Rush. Edwards, Waddill, Wishy &
Brown’s addition was surveyed by Joseph Burden in 1857, and part
of it by James Arvin in 1858, the first section being recorded
October 16, 1857, and the second June 8, 1858. Another addition
was made by the same persons January 11, 1860. The northwest
addition was surveyed by B.
Hayhurst, February 20, 1869, for E. W. Barnes, R. W. Fyan and J.
L. Rush; and Burford’s addition was surveyed by Hayhurst,
December 28, 1869, on Sections 4 and 9, Township 30, Range 18. The
west three-quarters of the south half of Section 3, Township 30,
Range 18, was platted May 1, 1875, being out-lots of the town of
Marshfield. Barnes & Bollinger’s mill was on Lot 3, 10 A, of
the old headstones in the Burford Cemetery these names are taken:
Thomas Wishy, Sophia Wishy, A. E. Goss, Dorcas J. Owen, John
Davis, James T. Owen, Denny Turner, William Burford, Jr.,
Elizabeth Turner, Elizabeth Burford, Lazarus Nichols, Sarah A.
Burford, David M. Johnston, Louisa Dryden, William S. Burford,
Elizabeth Nichols, Mary W. Burford, Mary Burford, William T.
Burford, Sarah Burford. The cemetery is on the Jonathan Burford
lands. A Mrs. Wade was buried there in a shingle-covered vault in
1857. The walls have fallen down in some places, and under the
shingles the bone of a man’s leg is visible. It appears the man
was run over by a train, the limb was cut off and sent by some
boys to be buried, but the boys selected this place as the most
first burial ground in the Marshfield neighborhood was where
Thomas Watter’s house stands. Flanagan died about 1840, and was
buried there, where several interments were subsequently made. The
Burford Cemetery took the place of this pioneer graveyard early in
the forties, and recently additions have been made to the former
one by Rush & Ward, being platted April 20, 1883.
the Nichols family were traveling toward their Webster County
home, fifty-one years ago, they found a man named Flanagan and his
family, who had a log house on the hill south of the springs.
Flanagan died some years after, and was buried as above mentioned.
A family named Bowers lived in a log cabin a little northwest of
the present cemetery, the elder Bowers being Flanagan’s
first mercantile concern in or near Marshfield was the store of
Benj. and Daniel Burford, one mile west, where the pioneer log
building still stands. Allen E. Goss (the first general merchant
at the county seat) was clerk in Burford’s store on Pleasant
Prairie, and moved with them to St. Luke in 1846.
1855 William Caple and Louis Gibbons established a store about
where Preacher Brewington’s house is. By some this store is
located north of the present jail, while others place it north of
the Salmon Bank, where a cottage owned by Mr. McElwaine now
stands. The house was a very rude affair, and the stock not very
extensive. Allen E. Goss, who had for several years before kept a
general store at St. Luke, in Washington Township, moved to
Marshfield in July, 1856, built a frame house where the Webster
County Bank was erected in 1879, and opened the first general
store there, which he carried on for three years. In 1859 he built
the brick house, now C. W. Brooks’ store, which he carried on
until his death. This building, the second brick house ever
erected here, was torn down by the tornado of April 18, 1880. The
first drug store at Marsh-field was opened in 1856, where the Odd
Fellows Hall stands.
L. Graham was the first harness-maker, but Cooksie established his
shop soon after.
post-office was established in 1856, with Allen E. Goss
postmaster, but Mrs. Eliza Goss (now Mrs. Hosmer) had full charge
of the office until spring, when Cooksie was appointed by the
Grant administration. Within a year or so he resigned the office,
when Dr. William Smith was appointed, holding the position until
1885, when Oliver Wells was commissioned.
brick-yard was established here before the war—that of Floyd
Todd, in 1857, east of the square; Boyd & Brisendine
established a second yard near the present cemetery; a third was
by Thomas Wisby, southwest of the school, and a fourth north of
Barnes’ mill, owned by W. H. Boyd.
frame academy (school-house), which stood a little north of
Aldridge’s livery stable, was the first building at Marshfield
used for public worship. Rev. Mr. Randolph, a Missionary Baptist
preacher of Wright County, held the first services there in 1857,
when about fifteen residents attended, Ellen E. Goss and wife,
Dutton Graham and wife, Martin Robertson and wife, John Foster and
wife, being among those present. Messrs. Vernon and Walker, of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, came about the close of the war.
this building Dr. Sellers taught school after the war, and was
succeeded by J. M. Leeds, who conducted an excellent school here
for years before the present large school building was erected, in
Before and After the Tornado
1878 to 1880 Marshfield enjoyed an era of prosperity which boded
well for the future. Three churches, two newspapers, two steam
elevators and numerous mercantile and well-established commercial
enterprises were included in the interests of the place. Its
growth had been substantial and, to all human appearances,
permanent. Its school-house, a modern, imposing brick edifice, was
an object of pride and satisfaction to the community. Indeed, the
city was characterized by the presence of many substantial
structures and public buildings, equal to those of any town of
like size in the West. Shipments of grain and stock had marked the
place as one of importance as a shipping center, and there is no
reason to doubt but that, for the fearful calamity which came upon
it, Marshfield would have enjoyed all the advantages which it
seemed would be its portion.
former pages of this work reference has been made in general to
the tornado of April 18, 1880, in which Marshfield shared with
such fatal and disastrous results. No pen can describe the havoc
which fell upon the place in less than a moment of time, nor can
the modern resident appreciate the terrible trials to which the
people of that day were subjected. Losses fell upon the rich and
poor alike—losses of home, property, friends, relatives, and, in
very many cases, loss of life. Seemingly none were spared. In a
work of this kind it is, of course, impossible to give in detail
the loss sustained by each individual. That would, of itself,
almost fill a volume. The total loss entailed upon the citizens of
the city has been generally estimated at about $240,000. Relief
appropriations were made to various individuals by the committee
on relief, calls for aid having met with ready responses from
sympathizing communities in all parts of the country.
reminiscences of many who had experienced the horrors of the
tempest and the wreck were subsequently compiled by local writers,
all of which have proven of value, not only on account of the
terrible evening to which they refer, but of the natural manner in
which many of the persons of the frightful drama relate their
participation in it. It is claimed that sixty persons were killed
outright in this storm, thirty-two dying from injuries received.
then and to the present Marshfield has progressed slowly but
steadily. The path of the ruin wrought has disappeared, and the
effects of the loss incurred long since forgotten, save in memory.
Good fortune, as if to atone for the harm done in the past, seems
to have especially favored it, and it now enjoys the reputation of
a city of recognized importance, both in the social and commercial
town of Marshfield was incorporated September 18, 1869, with E. W.
Barnes, Hiram E. Phe]ps, John Heckart, E. W. Young and W. B.
Jones, trustees. In 1870-71 a notice of intended application for
dissolution of the corporation appeare(l in the Marshfield
Democrat, and on January 16, 1871, the petition was considered by
the court, resulting in an order "that the town of Marshfield
be dissolved and disincorporated, and that Clay L. Leslie be
appointed trustee to wind up the affairs." On February 6,
1872, a petition signed by 118 inhabitants was presented asking
for the incorporation of the town. The petition was granted, and
A. C. McGinty, Frank Rogers, T. T. Jameson, Freeman Evans and F.
W. Moore al)pointed trustees. There was little or nothing done
under this law until dissolution settled it.
August 6, 1877, the town was incorporated, with William Smith, C.
C. Smith, C. S. Walls, W. S. Thompson and F. W. Moore, trustees.
J. W. Thompson was the first petitioner. F. W. Moore was chosen
first president of the town; C. C. Smith, secretary; S. Dickey,
attorney, and C. A. Winslow, collector and marshal.
real and personal property of the town at this time was assessed
$186,339, and the merchants’ stocks $32,625, showing a total of
$218,964. Dr. William Smith, J. W. Thompson and R. D. Blankenship
were presidents up to 1881.
1881 the town was chartered as a city of the fourth class, with A.
A. Harrison, mayor, and Jonathan Stuart, clerk, succeeded by J.
Ney Foster in 1883, J. W. Thompson in 1885 and 0. R. Winslow in
1887. 0. R. Winslow was elected mayor in 1885. Dr. Sellers also
served as mayor.
election of April, 1886, resulted in the choice G. H. Pardee for
mayor, and W. J. McKnight, marshal, vice L. C. Avery. The city
council appointed C. W. Brooks, treasurer; 0. R. Winslow,
collector, and J. W. Thompson, clerk and attorney.
May 16, 1887, a special election was held to fill the vacancy
caused by the resignation of George H. Pardee, when D. W.
Robertson was elected mayor. In April, 1888, Samuel Dickey was
elected mayor, other candidates being Frederick King an(l A. F.
Pack. W. J. McKnight was chosen marshal, and J. H. Gardner, John
B. Foster and C. W. Brooks, aldermen. O.R. Winslow was chosen
clerk; O. T. Hamlin, attorney; L. C. Avery, street commissioner,
and C. G. Bruce, collector. The mayor elect did not qualify, and a
special election was held May 28, 1888 (C. W. Brooks being acting
president), when D. W. Robertson was elected mayor. Messrs.
Gumpertz, Brooks, Foster and Gardner were aldermen.
the beginning of the present year a report gained credence that a
petition, asking for the repeal of the act of incorporation, would
be presented, but such action has thus far not been taken.
merchants of Marshfield who paid license in 1888 are named in the
Gilbert, Chitty & Graves, M. M. Watson, Lizzie Stever, Gus.
Gumpertz, H. A. Smith & Co., W. H. James & Son, C. W.
Brooks, M. Aldridge, Freeman Evans, D. W. Robertson, J. T. Long,
Lorena Shackelford, J. W. Johnson, E. J. Graham, F. W. Moore,
Oliver Wells, Smith & Wise, A. H. Chitty, Mitchell & Owen,
L. B. Stone & Co., Robert Thompson, L. B. Bickerdite, A. J.
Headlee, John B. Foster, Alfred Smith, J. C. Julian, Henry
Gilbert, Jeptha Hornbeck & Co., Mary Shafer, H. P. Monday,
Graves & Florence, J. S. Hammond, E. F. Haymes, J. P. Thomas.
& Vanzandt did business here in 1885.
Marshfield Board of Trade was organized in November, 1887, with
Judge Fyan, president; Capt. F. W. Moore and E. W. Salmon,
vice-presidents; George F. Gilbert, treasurer, and O. R. Winslow,
May 5, 1879, E. W. Barnes and H. S. Callaway opened a banking
house in Marshfield, which was conducted for some time. It was
known as the Webster County Bank. This institution closed August
22, 1884:, its failure producing serious depression in this
vicinity. The business and executive abilities of the officials
had been unquestioned, and the realization of the dissolution of
this financial institution, occupying the position it did, proved
a severe blow to those whose confidence seemed absolute. The
concern was assigned to C. W. Brooks, who estimated the
liabilities at $40,000, and the assets at $15,000. F. A. Smith’s
(county treasurer) bondsmen were the heaviest losers, as the
treasurer had about $13,000 of county and school funds, and $1,000
private funds in the bank. Among other heavy losers were L.
Caldwell, who resides on the edge of Greene County; Malcolm
Wilson, Judge Chaffin and Robert McMahan. One of the Julians lost
about $1,100, and others smaller amounts.
Bank of Marshfield dates back to March, 1885, when E. W. Salmon
and Andrew Biffin, of Henry County, purchased the Webster County
Bank building from Assignee C. W. Brooks for $2,500. Mr. Salmon
has charge of this house, which carries on a general banking,
exchange and collecting business. Although a very conservative
business man, he takes great interest in the eountry’s progress,
and is always willing to aid any project which gives fair promise
of advancing the welfare of the people.
Merchants’ and Farmers’ Bank is presided over by Judge Fyan,
with G. F. Gilbert vice president, and W. L. Long cashier.
old hotel building, which stood where the Odd Fellows Hall now is,
was conducted for a number of years prior to the war. In 1875 A.
H. Chitty purchased the building, and re-opened it as the Chitty
House. It was burned the same year. Mr. Chitty then leased the
Goss Building. After the cyclone he received permission to open
part of Gus Gumpertz’ residence as a hotel. (The Gumpertz House.
the school-house and the Hunter House were the only large
buildings spared by the cyclone. Mr. Gumpertz threw his, house
open to all after the disaster.) In June, 1880, he rented the
house where Bollinger’s drug store is, and in July purchased the
Hunter House from John O’Day, and named it the Chitty House.
Hunter House was built for James Hunter in 1875, and conducted by
him, and subsequently by his widow, until July, 1880, when Mr.
Chitty purchased it.
Rose House was built and opened as a hotel in 1878-79, by John
Mountain House was built about 1881, by James McQuerter, and later
was used as a boarding-house, about 1885 receiving the name of the
Mountain House from the lessee, W. C. Horn.
Ozark House was erected about 1881, by N. M. Callaway, for his
residence. In 1885 the present name was given to it, when it was
opened as a hotel by R. S. Callaway.
old mill referred to in the military chapter is now the property
of Barnes & Bollinger. New machinery was added (luring the
winter of 1887—88, and re-opened as a roller mill in February,
Aldridge mill, near the depot, is another important industry, the
output of which is extensive.
sand quarries, just south of the town, form another enterprise of
no small importance. The principal market is Springfield. As the
sand is simply powdered sandstone, clean and uniform, it finds a
files of the Chronicle and the memory of a few old residents bring
to light many strange stories of incendiaries in this place since
its start, but some seem to lack dates and names, so that they
cannot be authenticated. The first fire remembered is that of D.
L. Graham’s dwelling, which was burned before the war. The
court-house, the jail and the grist-mills were destroyed by fire
during the war, and a few small buildings in the town. W. F.
Greeley’s store, which stood where Barnes & Evans’ store
was burned a few years ago, was destroyed about 1809. From this
building Potter’s store caught fire and was destroyed. Kezzee
& Fisher’s warehouse, east of the first elevator, built
about 1870, was destroyed by fire in 1875, and some time later the
old freight depot was burned. In 1875 a fire originating in Mrs.
Young’s millinery store destroyed much property adjoining,
including Chitty’s hotel and Gilbert’s store. The fire of June
3, 1878, destroyed G. W. See & Co.’s store at the southwest
corner of the square. Jabez Smith’s meat house and barn were
burned October 12, and the W. A. Parker dwelling, in the
northeastern part of Marshfield, was burned December 5, that year.
Aldridge’s stock-barn, ten miles south, on Dry Creek, was struck
by lightning in September, 1879, and totally destroyed. Guilford
Stokes’ two large tobacco barns and 6,000 pounds of tobacco were
destroyed by fire in Union Township. The ilibberd House, owned by
L. S. Campbell, was burned in October, 1879, and on November 13
Johnson’s livery stable and J. S. McQuerter’s dwelling were
destroyed. Later, that month, Timothy O’Calah an’s dwelling,
three miles out on the Hazelwood road, was destroyed, and in
February, 1880, Mrs. Crossley’s dwelling was burned.
fire of May 18, 1881, originated in Wisby & Johnson’s drug
store, and within thirty minutes the entire block was in ruins.
The loss was heavy.
fire of September 12, 1882, originated in Mrs. Crossley’s
restaurant, and resulted in the destruction of an entire block The
fire of March 16, 1884, started in the basement of the Gumpertz
store, and destroyed or damaged goods valued at about $4,000. The
people worked earnestly, and succeeded in saving the building. The
fire of March 18, 1884, destroyed W. H. Smith’s grocery store.
& Stout’s carpenter shop, in the Robertson & Aldridge
lumber yard, was burned in January, 1885.
M. Barnes’ house was destroyed by fire in March, 1885. In July
the Yarborough dwelling, northward, was destroyed. Ortuer’s
house and barn, southeast of Marshfield, were burned in November.
fire of January 31, 1886, destroyed the block of frame buildings,
on the southwest corner of tim square, belonging to Mrs. M. A.
Callaway, Richard Elliott and Frank C. Corbett. Barnes &
Evans’ store, on the southeast corner of the square, was totally
destroyed by fire, and the city records burned. This fire
originated in Ladain’s frame building adjoining.
burning of the house of Wilburn Wise occurred April 17, 1887. M.
L. McNabb’s house, near the depot, was struck by lightning in
April. In September a lamp exploded in C. H. Green’s house,
resulting in the destruction of the building.
Lodge No. 98, A. F. & A.M., was chartered May 28, 1858, with
T. S. Cole, W. M.; D.M. Jameson, S. W.; W. F. McBride, J. W. The
charter officers and members were the three senior officers named
above; D. L. Burford, Treasurer; Lemuel Jones, Secretary; J. G.
Horton, S. D.; John E. Haymes, Tyler; T. Starpenstien, M. S.
Bailey, R. W. Jameson, R. D. Jameson, J. E. Hollis, Edward Day, J.
L. Turner and James H. Slavens. John Bollinger and Jonathan Stuart
were for years Secretary of this lodge, the latter being succeeded
by W. W. Brannock in 1887. The present number of members is fifty-nino.
Their hall is rented from I. 0. 0. F. Lodge No. 163. J. A.
Curtwright was Master in 1887-88.
Olive Lodge meets nine miles south of Marshfield. Among its
members may be named W. R. Brooks, T. F. Hensley, A. H. Dameron,
D. A. Medley, T. S. Florence, J. H. Crigger, P. P. Wells, C. F.
Newcomer, W. M. Moore, J. H. Reid and John Pogue.
Star Chapter No. 86, was chartered as Virginia Chapter June 4,
1875, with Eliza J. Graham, Anna M. Johnson, M. E. Jameson, Mary
A. Bingaman and others, charter members. Dutton L. Graham was
Worthy Patron, Margaret E. Jameson, Worthy Matron, and Eliza J.
Graham, Associate Matron.
Lodge No. 163, I. 0. 0. F., was chartered in 1867. The original
charter was destroyed April 18, 1880, and on May 18, 1883, a new
one was granted. In 1867 R. W. Fyan, James L. Rush, J. N. Turner,
J. M. Hunt, Marsh Davis and N. M. Turner were among the charter
members. J. M. Hunt was its first N.G. in 1867, and J. D. Chitty
and H. H. McAdams in 1888. There are now fifty-two members. The
Odd Fellows Building was commenced in July, 1880 (when Oliver
Wells was appointed building superintendent), and completed
February 22, 1882, at a cost of $3,116.61, after plans by I. N.
Encampment No. 69, I. 0. 0. F., was chartered January 27, 1873,
with the following named members: C. L. Leslie, ER. D.
Blankenship, L. B. Farrar, Thomas Baltz, S. R. Reece, A. D.
Graves, Michael Titter, James L. Rush and L. S. Campbell. The
first officers were R. D. Blankenship, Chief Patriarch, while the
others filled the minor positions. A. D. Graves was the first
Chief Patriarch; J. H. Graves, 1875. From April, 1880, to
February, 1883, when W. H. Dalton was elected Chief Patriarch of
the reorganized encampment, no work was accomplished. James
Triplett was made C. P. in 1888, with 5. 0. Brown, Secretary. The
number of members on January 1, 1889, was twelve.
Knights of Pythias had an organization at this place about fifteen
years, but there are no records of the old lodge existing here at
A. O. U. W. Lodge of Marshfleld was chartered March 23, 1886, with
Joseph Wesley, P. W. M.; Samuel Dickey, M. W.; John P. Hubble, G.
F.; J. H. Gardner, O.; W. W. Brannock, Recorder; Jacob T. Lond,
F.; Edwin W. Salmon, Receiver; T. H. Noel, G.; John W. Corbett, J.
W., and Grant Vanzant, O. W. The officers for 1889 are A. E.
Winslow, Master Workman; D. N. Mitchell, Foreman; A. J. Headlee,
O.; J. T. Long, F.; W. L. Long, ER.; F. E. Barnes, Rec.; D. D.
Hamilton, Guide; Al. Gumpertz, I. W.; J. H. Gardner, 0. W.; J. S.
Hope, P. M. W.
old A. 0. U. W. Lodge was organized February 11, 1878 by W. H.
Busse, of Joplin, with the following named officers J.L. Rush, P.
M. W.; J. C. Sellers, M. W.; Joseph Wisby, G. F.; Morris Cohen,
O.; W. H. Dalton, ER.; J. W. Thompson, F. W. S. Thompson, T.; C.
A. Winslow, G.; J. L. Lee, I. W.; C. W. Brooks, O. W.
Post 225, G. A. R., was chartered February 10, 1885, with W. F.
Roberts, Commander, and O. R. Winslow, Adjutant, who filled the
position until January 1, 1889, when he was elected Commander, and
Judge R. W. Fyan appointed Adjutant. The commanders succeeding W.
F. Roberts were D. W. Robertson, to fill vacancy; J. L. Rush, in
1886-87; R. W. Fyan, 1887-88; O. R. Winslow, 1889. The roster of
charter members is as follows:
Corbett, 16th N. Y. Inf.
F. Roberts, 10th Ind. Cav.
F. Rohland, 5th Kan. Cav.
Richardson, 18th N. Y. Inf.
Shelby, 2d Mo. L. A.
11. Dalton, 6th Mo. Cav.
L. Rush, 16th Mo. Cav.
W. Johnson, 32d. Mo. Inf.
R. Winslow, 2d Ill. L. A.
D. Withers, 1st Mo. Cav.
F. Scroogs, Phelps’ Regt.
H. Pardee, 2d N. Y. S. M.
M. Mason, 50th Mo. Inf.
Gaston, 24th Mo. Inf.
A. Gallian, 24th Mo. Inf.
A. Martin, 24th Mo. Inf.
K. Paul, 24th Mo. Inf.
P. Atkinson, 8th Mo. Inf.
N. Mason, 2d Mo. Art.
Holbert, 8th Mo. Cav.
J. George, 24th Mo. Inf.
B. George, 24th Mo. Inf.
Wisby, 12th Mo. Cav.
McElwain, 16th Mo. Cav.
W. Thompson, 135th Ill. Inf.
S. Hope, 7th Ind. Inf.
F. Evans, 8th Mo. Cav.
W. Robertson, 16th Mo. Cav.
A. Harrison, 24th Mo. Inf.
H. Lee, 5th Ohio Inf.
soldiers who joined the post from February 24, 1885, to January 1,
1889, are named as follows:
Goodwin, 13th Ill. Cav.
Hinkle, 24th Mo. Inf
J. Hall, 16th Mo. Cav.
Gravis, 5th Conn. Inf.
W. Wilson, 2d N. Y. H. Art.
Harwood, 24th Mo. Inf.
L. Butts, 16th Mo. Cav.
Bodenhamer, 24th Mo. Inf
Wise, 20th Wis. Inf.
R. Pryor, 13th Ill. Cav.
D. Petty, 8th Mo. Cav.
E. Williams, 8th Mo. Cav.
Atkins, 48th Mo. Inf.
Rowdin, 15th Mo. Cav.
Lacy, 24th Mo. Inf.
Warden, 33d Mo. Inf.
M. Blunt, 24th Mo. Inf.
C. Haggard, 2d Ark. Cav.
M. Edwards, 24th Mo. Inf.
Williams, 24th Mo. Inf.
Thompson, 21st 111. Inf.
Letterman, 106th Ill. Inf.
Ball, 1st Ark. Cav.
E. Phelps, 97th N. Y. Inf.
H. Graves. 12th P. R. V. C.
M. Sutherlin, 7th V. R. C.
F. Gilbert, 29th N. J. Inf.
Gumpertz, 8th N. Y. Inf.
J. Hopkins, 16th Mich. Inf.
A. Copening, 16th M. V. C.
Kilgore, 88th Ohio Inf.
White, 6th Mo. Cav.
J. Welch, 24th Mo. Inf.
H. Yandle, 4th M. S. M.
T. Moore, Phelps’ Regt.
W. Fyan, 24th Mo. Inf.
W. Fyan, 46th Mo. Inf.
D. Johnson, 24th Mo. Inf.
Baumgartner, 46th Mo. Inf.
C. B. Harmon.
B. Morrow, 8th M. S. M.
H. Moore, 46th Mo. Inf.
Blunt, 24th Mo. Inf.
B. East, 8th Mo. Cav.
S. Hosa, 60th Ind. Inf.
E. Jameson, 24th Mo. Inf.
Pointdexter, 5th Tenn. Inf.
H. George, 24th Mo. Inf.
Vinyard, 3d Mo. Cav.
Popojay, 24th Mo. Inf.
W. Davis, 6th Mo. Cav.
C. Harwood, 24th Mo. Inf.
L. McNabb, 11th Mo. Cav.
E. Followell, 16th Mo. Cav.
A. Minor, 16th Mo. Cav.
Curtwright, 42d Ind. Inf.
H. Bryan, 6th Mo. Cav.
post was well represented at the encampment of February, 1887,
held near Springfield, and also at the fall encampment at St.
Louis that year. The Fordland and Seymour posts were also
great Murphy temperance movement of 1878 reached Marshfield in
March of that year. The committee appointed to advance the
interests of the cause here comprised W. S. Thompson, Judge E. W.
Barnes, Rev. L. W. Pearce, Dr. Bradford, Dr. William Smith, J. L.
Rush, Joseph Wisby, N. M. Callaway and J. M. Leeds. This committee
reported the following names for permanent officers, and they were
elected: E. W. Barnes, president of the Christian Temperance
Union; R. W. Fyan, A. A. Harrison and W. Smith, vice-presidents;
L. B. Farrar, C. S.; J. M. Leeds, B. S.; Gus. Gumpertz, treasurer;
F. W. Moore, Thomas Bradford, J. L. Rush, N. M. Callaway and
Joseph Wishy, managers. Prior to March 15 the names of 90 per
cent. of the population were enrolled on the list of members.
officers of the Marshfield Grange elected in December, 1877, were
S. T. Brannock, Mrs. C. C. Smith, W. F. Bodenhamer, C. C. Haggard,
J. A. Smith, J. L. Ficklin, J. Burford, J. L. Lee, M. Dubois, Mrs.
A. Turner, ceres; Mrs. L. Wise, pomona; Mrs. T. L. Ficklin, flora,
and Mrs. J. A. Smith, stewardess. At this time C. W. Brooks and T.
L. Lee were appointed salesmen for the Grange store.
Marshfield Library Association was organized April 12, 1878, with
Judge Barnes, president, J. B. Foster, secretary, and William
Smith, treasurer. The officers named, with N. M. Callaway, Gus.
Gumpertz and John Bollinger, formed the board of directors.
social and church societies have existed here in one form or
another since 1878.
celebrations are common throughout the county. A number of years
ago the system of building Christmas trees was introduced here. In
1880 the fete was especially celebrated. It was a semi-religious
social one, and in its organization many well-known persons were
Marshfield Cornet Band was organized in March, 1878. The G. A. R.
Band disbanded in January, 1888, and reorganized under the title
"Merchants’ Cornet Band," with George Sutherlin,
manager; Mac. N. Brooks, leader, and Charles Allgor, secretary and
treasurer. The members were M. N. Brooks, George Sutherlin, R.
Corbett, Harvey Evans, Edward Sutherlin, C. Allgor, William
Chitty, R. C. Florence, Henry Gilbert and Charles Thompson.
Marshfield Base Ball Club, in 1879, comprised George Gilbert, W.
H. Smith, James Wallis, Charles Rush, John Chitty, J. L. Ward, W.
L. Smith, Alfred Smith and H. A. Smith.
former pages reference is made to the old Marshfield Academy,
which was used as a church and schoolhouse up to 1871, when the
present pretentious structure was erected. In 1878 bonds and
interest standing out on account of this building amounted to
$30,000. On two-thirds of this amount a compromise of 65 cents per
dollar was effected in 1878, thus reducing the indebtedness to
$21,000. Whatever ethical construction might be placed on such a
transaction, it saved the district $9,000. Two years later the
tornado did some damage to the building, which was soon after
repaired. During the summer of that year it was used for hospital
purposes, but after the effects of the storm had disappeared,
returned to its legitimate use, and has since been conducted so
admirably as to win renown for Principal Thomas and his assistant