Marshfield, The County Seat

From The History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri, published by The Goodspeed Publishing Co. in 1889

Marshfield, the county seat of Webster County, is situated on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, 212 miles from St. Louis. This town, with a population of 1,000, is located on the summit of the Ozark Range, as eligible and beautiful a site as any in Missouri; is 1,505 feet above the sea level, 1,081 feet above St. Louis, 223 feet above Lebanon, its neighboring town on the east, and 142 feet above Springfield, its neighboring town on the west. It is therefore the highest point in Missouri, except Cedar Gap, in Wright County, and among the most beautiful and pleasant of residence places.

The population in June, 1880, was 815, but a few months before the number of inhabitants was over 1,000, which is now a little under the true number of residents.

Original Lots

On May 28, 1856, the court instructed Wright Holland to lay off the county seat on a square in the southeast corner of the ten acres apportioned; west and north of that a tract of four acres for a public square; three north and south streets, sixty feet wide, of which the two outside were to lead through the square, and the center one to lead up to and in front of the public square; and three east and west streets, bearing the same relation to the square, lots to be laid off oblong, about sixty feet facing the square, with a depth of 120 feet. At this time the commissioner was instructed to donate ten acres to the Pacific Railroad Company, and to advertise in the Springfield Advertiser the auction of lots at Marshfield on August 11, 1856. Prospect Row, Hermitage Row, Mount Vernou Row, were the names given to the streets on which lots were offered, and the court fixed the price of such lots at from $20 to $40.


The survey of the town was commenced June 23, 1856, by Richard H. Pitts, surveyor; C. W. Robinson and James Smith, chainmen, and G. W. Thompson, assistant chain-man. The sixty acres on the northwest quarter of Section 10, Township 30, Range 18, were donated by William T. Burford and B. F. T. Burford & Co. for the purposes of the county seat of Webster. The survey was completed July 29, and acknowledged by Wright Holland, county seat commissioner, for himself and Constantine F. Dryden, the preacher (whose connection with the business is not made clear), W. T. Burford and B. F. Burford & Co.

The diagram or plat shows the public square one block south of the northern line, with Jefferson Street bounding it on the north, Madison Street on the south, Clay Street on the west and Crittenden Street on the east. The only street shown east of Crittenden is named Fulton Alley, which runs from the northern line into the grounds reserved for railroad depot purposes. Marshall Avenue runs north and south from the center of the public square, while Washington Avenue leads out from it east and west. Jackson Street parallels Madison Street as far east as the depot grounds. The width of Jackson is sixty-seven feet, while Madison, Washington and Jefferson are sixty-six feet, and Crittenden, Marshall and Clay fifty-four feet in width. The rows, or east and west alleys, are named Prospect, Monticello, Mount Vernon, Hermitage, Hickory and Valley, the railroad right-of-way being marked on or adjacent to the last named alley.

Sale of Lots

The sale of town lots by auction took place August 11, 1856, prices ranging from $21 (about the lowest) to $261.50, the highest sum realized for any one lot. The county seat commissioners reported the sales and settled with the county in November following, the proceeds amounting to $4,385.75. Payment, almost invariably, was made in each case by secured note for one year. Among the purchasers in Prospect Row were G. B. Maupin, Neely Pryor, J. P. Thomas, William R. Rogers, William Caple, Louis Gibbons, A. E. Goss, J. T. McKey, Henry King and others. Included in the list of those who became owners of lots in Monticello Row are found the names of P. L. Burford, J. H. Fagg, Charles W. Robinson and D. M. Terry. Mr. Robinson, W. B. Shook, Jacob Vanzant, Daniel George and J. E. Hollis and others also bought in Mount Vernon Row. In Hermitage Row Denny Turner, J. E. Haymes, D. L. Burford, Leander Cloud and William Hunt became property owners. The next December the lots left unsold were ordered disposed of at private sale, when many of those already mentioned indicated their faith in the town’s future by purchasing more extensively. In addition Thomas Wisley, Z. Young, G. P. R. and T. T. Vanzant, Cicero McGinty, R. C. Matthews, Thomas B. Coleman, Henry King, James Triplett, John R. Taggard, John B. Dixon, and others too numerous to mention, invested. For negotiating these private sales the county seat commissioners received the munificent sum of $20. In November, 1857, other lots were sold, and some of those formerly disposed of were resold, while in December certain ones were declared forfeited, and brought only a fraction of the original price. In November, 1858, another series of forfeited lots were offered, and bought by Harper Rice, Henry King, C. C. Smith, N. T. Smith, John B. Dixon and P. L. Burford. In February, July and October, 1859, September, 1860, March, 1861, and February, 1866, sales were also made, prices, as a rule, being well maintained.

The first lot sold at Marshfield was that to Green A. Lee, where F. W. Moore’s store now is. In 1858 he erected a brick building there, and in 1859 built a store building for A. E. Goss on the second lot sold, which was purchased by that pioneer merchant.


A plat of Marshfield was made December 29, 1858, for C. S. Wallis, R. W. Fyan and James L. Rush. Edwards, Waddill, Wishy & Brown’s addition was surveyed by Joseph Burden in 1857, and part of it by James Arvin in 1858, the first section being recorded October 16, 1857, and the second June 8, 1858. Another addition was made by the same persons January 11, 1860. The northwest addition was surveyed by B.

F. Hayhurst, February 20, 1869, for E. W. Barnes, R. W. Fyan and J. L. Rush; and Burford’s addition was surveyed by Hayhurst, December 28, 1869, on Sections 4 and 9, Township 30, Range 18. The west three-quarters of the south half of Section 3, Township 30, Range 18, was platted May 1, 1875, being out-lots of the town of Marshfield. Barnes & Bollinger’s mill was on Lot 3, 10 A, of this survey.

Burial Grounds

From the old headstones in the Burford Cemetery these names are taken: Thomas Wishy, Sophia Wishy, A. E. Goss, Dorcas J. Owen, John Davis, James T. Owen, Denny Turner, William Burford, Jr., Elizabeth Turner, Elizabeth Burford, Lazarus Nichols, Sarah A. Burford, David M. Johnston, Louisa Dryden, William S. Burford, Elizabeth Nichols, Mary W. Burford, Mary Burford, William T. Burford, Sarah Burford. The cemetery is on the Jonathan Burford lands. A Mrs. Wade was buried there in a shingle-covered vault in 1857. The walls have fallen down in some places, and under the shingles the bone of a man’s leg is visible. It appears the man was run over by a train, the limb was cut off and sent by some boys to be buried, but the boys selected this place as the most convenient.

The first burial ground in the Marshfield neighborhood was where Thomas Watter’s house stands. Flanagan died about 1840, and was buried there, where several interments were subsequently made. The Burford Cemetery took the place of this pioneer graveyard early in the forties, and recently additions have been made to the former one by Rush & Ward, being platted April 20, 1883.

Pioneers of the Town

When the Nichols family were traveling toward their Webster County home, fifty-one years ago, they found a man named Flanagan and his family, who had a log house on the hill south of the springs. Flanagan died some years after, and was buried as above mentioned. A family named Bowers lived in a log cabin a little northwest of the present cemetery, the elder Bowers being Flanagan’s brother-in-law.

The first mercantile concern in or near Marshfield was the store of Benj. and Daniel Burford, one mile west, where the pioneer log building still stands. Allen E. Goss (the first general merchant at the county seat) was clerk in Burford’s store on Pleasant Prairie, and moved with them to St. Luke in 1846.

In 1855 William Caple and Louis Gibbons established a store about where Preacher Brewington’s house is. By some this store is located north of the present jail, while others place it north of the Salmon Bank, where a cottage owned by Mr. McElwaine now stands. The house was a very rude affair, and the stock not very extensive. Allen E. Goss, who had for several years before kept a general store at St. Luke, in Washington Township, moved to Marshfield in July, 1856, built a frame house where the Webster County Bank was erected in 1879, and opened the first general store there, which he carried on for three years. In 1859 he built the brick house, now C. W. Brooks’ store, which he carried on until his death. This building, the second brick house ever erected here, was torn down by the tornado of April 18, 1880. The first drug store at Marsh-field was opened in 1856, where the Odd Fellows Hall stands.

D. L. Graham was the first harness-maker, but Cooksie established his shop soon after.

The post-office was established in 1856, with Allen E. Goss postmaster, but Mrs. Eliza Goss (now Mrs. Hosmer) had full charge of the office until spring, when Cooksie was appointed by the Grant administration. Within a year or so he resigned the office, when Dr. William Smith was appointed, holding the position until 1885, when Oliver Wells was commissioned.

A brick-yard was established here before the war—that of Floyd Todd, in 1857, east of the square; Boyd & Brisendine established a second yard near the present cemetery; a third was by Thomas Wisby, southwest of the school, and a fourth north of Barnes’ mill, owned by W. H. Boyd.

The frame academy (school-house), which stood a little north of Aldridge’s livery stable, was the first building at Marshfield used for public worship. Rev. Mr. Randolph, a Missionary Baptist preacher of Wright County, held the first services there in 1857, when about fifteen residents attended, Ellen E. Goss and wife, Dutton Graham and wife, Martin Robertson and wife, John Foster and wife, being among those present. Messrs. Vernon and Walker, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, came about the close of the war.

In this building Dr. Sellers taught school after the war, and was succeeded by J. M. Leeds, who conducted an excellent school here for years before the present large school building was erected, in 1871.

Marshfield Before and After the Tornado

From 1878 to 1880 Marshfield enjoyed an era of prosperity which boded well for the future. Three churches, two newspapers, two steam elevators and numerous mercantile and well-established commercial enterprises were included in the interests of the place. Its growth had been substantial and, to all human appearances, permanent. Its school-house, a modern, imposing brick edifice, was an object of pride and satisfaction to the community. Indeed, the city was characterized by the presence of many substantial structures and public buildings, equal to those of any town of like size in the West. Shipments of grain and stock had marked the place as one of importance as a shipping center, and there is no reason to doubt but that, for the fearful calamity which came upon it, Marshfield would have enjoyed all the advantages which it seemed would be its portion.

On former pages of this work reference has been made in general to the tornado of April 18, 1880, in which Marshfield shared with such fatal and disastrous results. No pen can describe the havoc which fell upon the place in less than a moment of time, nor can the modern resident appreciate the terrible trials to which the people of that day were subjected. Losses fell upon the rich and poor alike—losses of home, property, friends, relatives, and, in very many cases, loss of life. Seemingly none were spared. In a work of this kind it is, of course, impossible to give in detail the loss sustained by each individual. That would, of itself, almost fill a volume. The total loss entailed upon the citizens of the city has been generally estimated at about $240,000. Relief appropriations were made to various individuals by the committee on relief, calls for aid having met with ready responses from sympathizing communities in all parts of the country.

The reminiscences of many who had experienced the horrors of the tempest and the wreck were subsequently compiled by local writers, all of which have proven of value, not only on account of the terrible evening to which they refer, but of the natural manner in which many of the persons of the frightful drama relate their participation in it. It is claimed that sixty persons were killed outright in this storm, thirty-two dying from injuries received.

Since then and to the present Marshfield has progressed slowly but steadily. The path of the ruin wrought has disappeared, and the effects of the loss incurred long since forgotten, save in memory. Good fortune, as if to atone for the harm done in the past, seems to have especially favored it, and it now enjoys the reputation of a city of recognized importance, both in the social and commercial world.

Municipal Organization

The town of Marshfield was incorporated September 18, 1869, with E. W. Barnes, Hiram E. Phe]ps, John Heckart, E. W. Young and W. B. Jones, trustees. In 1870-71 a notice of intended application for dissolution of the corporation appeare(l in the Marshfield Democrat, and on January 16, 1871, the petition was considered by the court, resulting in an order "that the town of Marshfield be dissolved and disincorporated, and that Clay L. Leslie be appointed trustee to wind up the affairs." On February 6, 1872, a petition signed by 118 inhabitants was presented asking for the incorporation of the town. The petition was granted, and A. C. McGinty, Frank Rogers, T. T. Jameson, Freeman Evans and F. W. Moore al)pointed trustees. There was little or nothing done under this law until dissolution settled it.

On August 6, 1877, the town was incorporated, with William Smith, C. C. Smith, C. S. Walls, W. S. Thompson and F. W. Moore, trustees. J. W. Thompson was the first petitioner. F. W. Moore was chosen first president of the town; C. C. Smith, secretary; S. Dickey, attorney, and C. A. Winslow, collector and marshal.

The real and personal property of the town at this time was assessed $186,339, and the merchants’ stocks $32,625, showing a total of $218,964. Dr. William Smith, J. W. Thompson and R. D. Blankenship were presidents up to 1881.

In 1881 the town was chartered as a city of the fourth class, with A. A. Harrison, mayor, and Jonathan Stuart, clerk, succeeded by J. Ney Foster in 1883, J. W. Thompson in 1885 and 0. R. Winslow in 1887. 0. R. Winslow was elected mayor in 1885. Dr. Sellers also served as mayor.

The election of April, 1886, resulted in the choice G. H. Pardee for mayor, and W. J. McKnight, marshal, vice L. C. Avery. The city council appointed C. W. Brooks, treasurer; 0. R. Winslow, collector, and J. W. Thompson, clerk and attorney.

On May 16, 1887, a special election was held to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of George H. Pardee, when D. W. Robertson was elected mayor. In April, 1888, Samuel Dickey was elected mayor, other candidates being Frederick King an(l A. F. Pack. W. J. McKnight was chosen marshal, and J. H. Gardner, John B. Foster and C. W. Brooks, aldermen. O.R. Winslow was chosen clerk; O. T. Hamlin, attorney; L. C. Avery, street commissioner, and C. G. Bruce, collector. The mayor elect did not qualify, and a special election was held May 28, 1888 (C. W. Brooks being acting president), when D. W. Robertson was elected mayor. Messrs. Gumpertz, Brooks, Foster and Gardner were aldermen.

At the beginning of the present year a report gained credence that a petition, asking for the repeal of the act of incorporation, would be presented, but such action has thus far not been taken.

Business Men of 1888

The merchants of Marshfield who paid license in 1888 are named in the following list:

George Gilbert, Chitty & Graves, M. M. Watson, Lizzie Stever, Gus. Gumpertz, H. A. Smith & Co., W. H. James & Son, C. W. Brooks, M. Aldridge, Freeman Evans, D. W. Robertson, J. T. Long, Lorena Shackelford, J. W. Johnson, E. J. Graham, F. W. Moore, Oliver Wells, Smith & Wise, A. H. Chitty, Mitchell & Owen, L. B. Stone & Co., Robert Thompson, L. B. Bickerdite, A. J. Headlee, John B. Foster, Alfred Smith, J. C. Julian, Henry Gilbert, Jeptha Hornbeck & Co., Mary Shafer, H. P. Monday, Graves & Florence, J. S. Hammond, E. F. Haymes, J. P. Thomas.

McKnight & Vanzandt did business here in 1885.

The Marshfield Board of Trade was organized in November, 1887, with Judge Fyan, president; Capt. F. W. Moore and E. W. Salmon, vice-presidents; George F. Gilbert, treasurer, and O. R. Winslow, secretary.


On May 5, 1879, E. W. Barnes and H. S. Callaway opened a banking house in Marshfield, which was conducted for some time. It was known as the Webster County Bank. This institution closed August 22, 1884:, its failure producing serious depression in this vicinity. The business and executive abilities of the officials had been unquestioned, and the realization of the dissolution of this financial institution, occupying the position it did, proved a severe blow to those whose confidence seemed absolute. The concern was assigned to C. W. Brooks, who estimated the liabilities at $40,000, and the assets at $15,000. F. A. Smith’s (county treasurer) bondsmen were the heaviest losers, as the treasurer had about $13,000 of county and school funds, and $1,000 private funds in the bank. Among other heavy losers were L. Caldwell, who resides on the edge of Greene County; Malcolm Wilson, Judge Chaffin and Robert McMahan. One of the Julians lost about $1,100, and others smaller amounts.

The Bank of Marshfield dates back to March, 1885, when E. W. Salmon and Andrew Biffin, of Henry County, purchased the Webster County Bank building from Assignee C. W. Brooks for $2,500. Mr. Salmon has charge of this house, which carries on a general banking, exchange and collecting business. Although a very conservative business man, he takes great interest in the eountry’s progress, and is always willing to aid any project which gives fair promise of advancing the welfare of the people.

The Merchants’ and Farmers’ Bank is presided over by Judge Fyan, with G. F. Gilbert vice president, and W. L. Long cashier.


The old hotel building, which stood where the Odd Fellows Hall now is, was conducted for a number of years prior to the war. In 1875 A. H. Chitty purchased the building, and re-opened it as the Chitty House. It was burned the same year. Mr. Chitty then leased the Goss Building. After the cyclone he received permission to open part of Gus Gumpertz’ residence as a hotel. (The Gumpertz House. the school-house and the Hunter House were the only large buildings spared by the cyclone. Mr. Gumpertz threw his, house open to all after the disaster.) In June, 1880, he rented the house where Bollinger’s drug store is, and in July purchased the Hunter House from John O’Day, and named it the Chitty House.

The Hunter House was built for James Hunter in 1875, and conducted by him, and subsequently by his widow, until July, 1880, when Mr. Chitty purchased it.

The Rose House was built and opened as a hotel in 1878-79, by John Rose.

The Mountain House was built about 1881, by James McQuerter, and later was used as a boarding-house, about 1885 receiving the name of the Mountain House from the lessee, W. C. Horn.

The Ozark House was erected about 1881, by N. M. Callaway, for his residence. In 1885 the present name was given to it, when it was opened as a hotel by R. S. Callaway.


The old mill referred to in the military chapter is now the property of Barnes & Bollinger. New machinery was added (luring the winter of 1887—88, and re-opened as a roller mill in February, 1888.

The Aldridge mill, near the depot, is another important industry, the output of which is extensive.

The sand quarries, just south of the town, form another enterprise of no small importance. The principal market is Springfield. As the sand is simply powdered sandstone, clean and uniform, it finds a ready sale.


The files of the Chronicle and the memory of a few old residents bring to light many strange stories of incendiaries in this place since its start, but some seem to lack dates and names, so that they cannot be authenticated. The first fire remembered is that of D. L. Graham’s dwelling, which was burned before the war. The court-house, the jail and the grist-mills were destroyed by fire during the war, and a few small buildings in the town. W. F. Greeley’s store, which stood where Barnes & Evans’ store was burned a few years ago, was destroyed about 1809. From this building Potter’s store caught fire and was destroyed. Kezzee & Fisher’s warehouse, east of the first elevator, built about 1870, was destroyed by fire in 1875, and some time later the old freight depot was burned. In 1875 a fire originating in Mrs. Young’s millinery store destroyed much property adjoining, including Chitty’s hotel and Gilbert’s store. The fire of June 3, 1878, destroyed G. W. See & Co.’s store at the southwest corner of the square. Jabez Smith’s meat house and barn were burned October 12, and the W. A. Parker dwelling, in the northeastern part of Marshfield, was burned December 5, that year.

Micajah Aldridge’s stock-barn, ten miles south, on Dry Creek, was struck by lightning in September, 1879, and totally destroyed. Guilford Stokes’ two large tobacco barns and 6,000 pounds of tobacco were destroyed by fire in Union Township. The ilibberd House, owned by L. S. Campbell, was burned in October, 1879, and on November 13 Johnson’s livery stable and J. S. McQuerter’s dwelling were destroyed. Later, that month, Timothy O’Calah an’s dwelling, three miles out on the Hazelwood road, was destroyed, and in February, 1880, Mrs. Crossley’s dwelling was burned.

The fire of May 18, 1881, originated in Wisby & Johnson’s drug store, and within thirty minutes the entire block was in ruins. The loss was heavy.

The fire of September 12, 1882, originated in Mrs. Crossley’s restaurant, and resulted in the destruction of an entire block The fire of March 16, 1884, started in the basement of the Gumpertz store, and destroyed or damaged goods valued at about $4,000. The people worked earnestly, and succeeded in saving the building. The fire of March 18, 1884, destroyed W. H. Smith’s grocery store.

Hansard & Stout’s carpenter shop, in the Robertson & Aldridge lumber yard, was burned in January, 1885.

William M. Barnes’ house was destroyed by fire in March, 1885. In July the Yarborough dwelling, northward, was destroyed. Ortuer’s house and barn, southeast of Marshfield, were burned in November.

The fire of January 31, 1886, destroyed the block of frame buildings, on the southwest corner of tim square, belonging to Mrs. M. A. Callaway, Richard Elliott and Frank C. Corbett. Barnes & Evans’ store, on the southeast corner of the square, was totally destroyed by fire, and the city records burned. This fire originated in Ladain’s frame building adjoining.

The burning of the house of Wilburn Wise occurred April 17, 1887. M. L. McNabb’s house, near the depot, was struck by lightning in April. In September a lamp exploded in C. H. Green’s house, resulting in the destruction of the building.

Secret and Other Societies

Webster Lodge No. 98, A. F. & A.M., was chartered May 28, 1858, with T. S. Cole, W. M.; D.M. Jameson, S. W.; W. F. McBride, J. W. The charter officers and members were the three senior officers named above; D. L. Burford, Treasurer; Lemuel Jones, Secretary; J. G. Horton, S. D.; John E. Haymes, Tyler; T. Starpenstien, M. S. Bailey, R. W. Jameson, R. D. Jameson, J. E. Hollis, Edward Day, J. L. Turner and James H. Slavens. John Bollinger and Jonathan Stuart were for years Secretary of this lodge, the latter being succeeded by W. W. Brannock in 1887. The present number of members is fifty-nino. Their hall is rented from I. 0. 0. F. Lodge No. 163. J. A. Curtwright was Master in 1887-88.

Mt. Olive Lodge meets nine miles south of Marshfield. Among its members may be named W. R. Brooks, T. F. Hensley, A. H. Dameron, D. A. Medley, T. S. Florence, J. H. Crigger, P. P. Wells, C. F. Newcomer, W. M. Moore, J. H. Reid and John Pogue.

Eastern Star Chapter No. 86, was chartered as Virginia Chapter June 4, 1875, with Eliza J. Graham, Anna M. Johnson, M. E. Jameson, Mary A. Bingaman and others, charter members. Dutton L. Graham was Worthy Patron, Margaret E. Jameson, Worthy Matron, and Eliza J. Graham, Associate Matron.

Webster Lodge No. 163, I. 0. 0. F., was chartered in 1867. The original charter was destroyed April 18, 1880, and on May 18, 1883, a new one was granted. In 1867 R. W. Fyan, James L. Rush, J. N. Turner, J. M. Hunt, Marsh Davis and N. M. Turner were among the charter members. J. M. Hunt was its first N.G. in 1867, and J. D. Chitty and H. H. McAdams in 1888. There are now fifty-two members. The Odd Fellows Building was commenced in July, 1880 (when Oliver Wells was appointed building superintendent), and completed February 22, 1882, at a cost of $3,116.61, after plans by I. N. Smith.

Summit Encampment No. 69, I. 0. 0. F., was chartered January 27, 1873, with the following named members: C. L. Leslie, ER. D. Blankenship, L. B. Farrar, Thomas Baltz, S. R. Reece, A. D. Graves, Michael Titter, James L. Rush and L. S. Campbell. The first officers were R. D. Blankenship, Chief Patriarch, while the others filled the minor positions. A. D. Graves was the first Chief Patriarch; J. H. Graves, 1875. From April, 1880, to February, 1883, when W. H. Dalton was elected Chief Patriarch of the reorganized encampment, no work was accomplished. James Triplett was made C. P. in 1888, with 5. 0. Brown, Secretary. The number of members on January 1, 1889, was twelve.

The Knights of Pythias had an organization at this place about fifteen years, but there are no records of the old lodge existing here at this time.

The A. O. U. W. Lodge of Marshfleld was chartered March 23, 1886, with Joseph Wesley, P. W. M.; Samuel Dickey, M. W.; John P. Hubble, G. F.; J. H. Gardner, O.; W. W. Brannock, Recorder; Jacob T. Lond, F.; Edwin W. Salmon, Receiver; T. H. Noel, G.; John W. Corbett, J. W., and Grant Vanzant, O. W. The officers for 1889 are A. E. Winslow, Master Workman; D. N. Mitchell, Foreman; A. J. Headlee, O.; J. T. Long, F.; W. L. Long, ER.; F. E. Barnes, Rec.; D. D. Hamilton, Guide; Al. Gumpertz, I. W.; J. H. Gardner, 0. W.; J. S. Hope, P. M. W.

The old A. 0. U. W. Lodge was organized February 11, 1878 by W. H. Busse, of Joplin, with the following named officers J.L. Rush, P. M. W.; J. C. Sellers, M. W.; Joseph Wisby, G. F.; Morris Cohen, O.; W. H. Dalton, ER.; J. W. Thompson, F. W. S. Thompson, T.; C. A. Winslow, G.; J. L. Lee, I. W.; C. W. Brooks, O. W.

Marshfield Post 225, G. A. R., was chartered February 10, 1885, with W. F. Roberts, Commander, and O. R. Winslow, Adjutant, who filled the position until January 1, 1889, when he was elected Commander, and Judge R. W. Fyan appointed Adjutant. The commanders succeeding W. F. Roberts were D. W. Robertson, to fill vacancy; J. L. Rush, in 1886-87; R. W. Fyan, 1887-88; O. R. Winslow, 1889. The roster of charter members is as follows:

Frank Corbett, 16th N. Y. Inf.

Win. F. Roberts, 10th Ind. Cav.

Chas. F. Rohland, 5th Kan. Cav.

David Richardson, 18th N. Y. Inf.

Adison Shelby, 2d Mo. L. A.

Wm. 11. Dalton, 6th Mo. Cav.

James L. Rush, 16th Mo. Cav.

Jordan W. Johnson, 32d. Mo. Inf.

Orlando R. Winslow, 2d Ill. L. A.

Abner D. Withers, 1st Mo. Cav.

Enos F. Scroogs, Phelps’ Regt.

Geo. H. Pardee, 2d N. Y. S. M.

Francis M. Mason, 50th Mo. Inf.

Wm. Gaston, 24th Mo. Inf.

Stephen A. Gallian, 24th Mo. Inf.

Win. A. Martin, 24th Mo. Inf.

Thomas K. Paul, 24th Mo. Inf.

Win. P. Atkinson, 8th Mo. Inf.

Daniel N. Mason, 2d Mo. Art.

Marcus Holbert, 8th Mo. Cav.

L. J. George, 24th Mo. Inf.

W. B. George, 24th Mo. Inf.

Joseph Wisby, 12th Mo. Cav.

Win. McElwain, 16th Mo. Cav.

J. W. Thompson, 135th Ill. Inf.

J. S. Hope, 7th Ind. Inf.

Henry F. Evans, 8th Mo. Cav.

D. W. Robertson, 16th Mo. Cav.

A. A. Harrison, 24th Mo. Inf.

W. H. Lee, 5th Ohio Inf.

The soldiers who joined the post from February 24, 1885, to January 1, 1889, are named as follows:

Thomas Goodwin, 13th Ill. Cav.

Jesse Hinkle, 24th Mo. Inf

Andrew J. Hall, 16th Mo. Cav.

Warner Gravis, 5th Conn. Inf.

Frank W. Wilson, 2d N. Y. H. Art.

Jonathan Harwood, 24th Mo. Inf.

August Myers.

H. L. Butts, 16th Mo. Cav.

F. Bodenhamer, 24th Mo. Inf

Lewis Wise, 20th Wis. Inf.

M. R. Pryor, 13th Ill. Cav.

Lewis D. Petty, 8th Mo. Cav.

James E. Williams, 8th Mo. Cav.

Scott Atkins, 48th Mo. Inf.

Elijah Rowdin, 15th Mo. Cav.

John Lacy, 24th Mo. Inf.

Wiley Warden, 33d Mo. Inf.

A. M. Blunt, 24th Mo. Inf.

W. C. Haggard, 2d Ark. Cav.

P. M. Edwards, 24th Mo. Inf.

Reuben Williams, 24th Mo. Inf.

Richard Thompson, 21st 111. Inf.

John Letterman, 106th Ill. Inf.

James Ball, 1st Ark. Cav.

Hiram E. Phelps, 97th N. Y. Inf.

Joshua H. Graves. 12th P. R. V. C.

F. M. Sutherlin, 7th V. R. C.

Geo. F. Gilbert, 29th N. J. Inf.

Gus Gumpertz, 8th N. Y. Inf.

Oliver J. Hopkins, 16th Mich. Inf.

Joseph A. Copening, 16th M. V. C.

Horton Kilgore, 88th Ohio Inf.

Darius White, 6th Mo. Cav.

Thomas J. Welch, 24th Mo. Inf.

Wm. H. Yandle, 4th M. S. M.

James T. Moore, Phelps’ Regt.

R. W. Fyan, 24th Mo. Inf.

R. W. Fyan, 46th Mo. Inf.

J. D. Johnson, 24th Mo. Inf.

A. Baumgartner, 46th Mo. Inf.

G. C. B. Harmon.

Joseph B. Morrow, 8th M. S. M.

W. H. Moore, 46th Mo. Inf.

James Blunt, 24th Mo. Inf.

T. B. East, 8th Mo. Cav.

W. S. Hosa, 60th Ind. Inf.

M. E. Jameson, 24th Mo. Inf.

James Pointdexter, 5th Tenn. Inf.

James H. George, 24th Mo. Inf.

Madison Vinyard, 3d Mo. Cav.

Terence Popojay, 24th Mo. Inf.

Geo. W. Davis, 6th Mo. Cav.

F. C. Harwood, 24th Mo. Inf.

M. L. McNabb, 11th Mo. Cav.

W. E. Followell, 16th Mo. Cav.

F. A. Minor, 16th Mo. Cav.

James Curtwright, 42d Ind. Inf.

W. H. Bryan, 6th Mo. Cav.

The post was well represented at the encampment of February, 1887, held near Springfield, and also at the fall encampment at St. Louis that year. The Fordland and Seymour posts were also represented.

The great Murphy temperance movement of 1878 reached Marshfield in March of that year. The committee appointed to advance the interests of the cause here comprised W. S. Thompson, Judge E. W. Barnes, Rev. L. W. Pearce, Dr. Bradford, Dr. William Smith, J. L. Rush, Joseph Wisby, N. M. Callaway and J. M. Leeds. This committee reported the following names for permanent officers, and they were elected: E. W. Barnes, president of the Christian Temperance Union; R. W. Fyan, A. A. Harrison and W. Smith, vice-presidents; L. B. Farrar, C. S.; J. M. Leeds, B. S.; Gus. Gumpertz, treasurer; F. W. Moore, Thomas Bradford, J. L. Rush, N. M. Callaway and Joseph Wishy, managers. Prior to March 15 the names of 90 per cent. of the population were enrolled on the list of members.

The officers of the Marshfield Grange elected in December, 1877, were S. T. Brannock, Mrs. C. C. Smith, W. F. Bodenhamer, C. C. Haggard, J. A. Smith, J. L. Ficklin, J. Burford, J. L. Lee, M. Dubois, Mrs. A. Turner, ceres; Mrs. L. Wise, pomona; Mrs. T. L. Ficklin, flora, and Mrs. J. A. Smith, stewardess. At this time C. W. Brooks and T. L. Lee were appointed salesmen for the Grange store.

The Marshfield Library Association was organized April 12, 1878, with Judge Barnes, president, J. B. Foster, secretary, and William Smith, treasurer. The officers named, with N. M. Callaway, Gus. Gumpertz and John Bollinger, formed the board of directors.

Literary, social and church societies have existed here in one form or another since 1878.

Christmas celebrations are common throughout the county. A number of years ago the system of building Christmas trees was introduced here. In 1880 the fete was especially celebrated. It was a semi-religious social one, and in its organization many well-known persons were prominent.

The Marshfield Cornet Band was organized in March, 1878. The G. A. R. Band disbanded in January, 1888, and reorganized under the title "Merchants’ Cornet Band," with George Sutherlin, manager; Mac. N. Brooks, leader, and Charles Allgor, secretary and treasurer. The members were M. N. Brooks, George Sutherlin, R. Corbett, Harvey Evans, Edward Sutherlin, C. Allgor, William Chitty, R. C. Florence, Henry Gilbert and Charles Thompson.

The Marshfield Base Ball Club, in 1879, comprised George Gilbert, W. H. Smith, James Wallis, Charles Rush, John Chitty, J. L. Ward, W. L. Smith, Alfred Smith and H. A. Smith.


In former pages reference is made to the old Marshfield Academy, which was used as a church and schoolhouse up to 1871, when the present pretentious structure was erected. In 1878 bonds and interest standing out on account of this building amounted to $30,000. On two-thirds of this amount a compromise of 65 cents per dollar was effected in 1878, thus reducing the indebtedness to $21,000. Whatever ethical construction might be placed on such a transaction, it saved the district $9,000. Two years later the tornado did some damage to the building, which was soon after repaired. During the summer of that year it was used for hospital purposes, but after the effects of the storm had disappeared, returned to its legitimate use, and has since been conducted so admirably as to win renown for Principal Thomas and his assistant teachers.