The History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas,
Pulaski, Phelps, and Dent Counties, Missouri
by Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889
Teague Post Office
White Oak Springs
when John Foster settled near Hazelwood, Joseph W. McClurg and his
step-father, William Murphy, kept a general store; Sebastian See,
a German, was blacksmith. Within the following ten years four log
cabins were erected, by order of Mr. McClurg, for renting
purposes. There were neither saloon, church nor school there when
the first county court assembled, and later, when the circuit
court was held, the grand jury held their deliberations in the
brush in charge of the sheriff. McClurg’s store-room was within
the original log cabin building, and the roof could be almost
touched by the hands of a tall man. On Gov. McClurg's removal to
Linn Creek the old county seat may be said to have disappeared. In
its vicinity the villages of High Prairie or Bracken sprung up,
and there was established a post-office station in August, 1877.
established in July, 1880, ten miles southeast of Marshfield.
Prior to that, from the time the Hazelwood office was abolished,
settlers had to go to the county seat or to Waldo. A description
of the settlement, written in August, 1880, gives the following
facts: "We occupy the country around Hazelwood, where the
oldest town and post-office in the county were. We enumerate about
forty residents, and a population of about 200 within three miles.
We have a post-office, one dry goods and grocery store being
erected, one steam, grist and saw mill, and one school-house. We
have permanent employment for twenty-five wagons and teams to haul
logs and lumber. Business is lively in general. A six months’
school commenced recently, which now numbers about fifty students,
under the control of Prof. C. T. Childress." The soldiers’
reunion at Teague of August, 1883, was held just north of the Ava
and Marshfield road, near the Blankenship Springs. Cols. Pardee
and Childress, with Judge Minor, were among the organizers at this
pleasant and useful meeting. In 1886 J. C. McCulloch paid
merchants’ license at Teague, also John Miller.
of Frankfort was surveyed by Richard H. Pitts, for $100, for
Hermann Nobbe, and acknowledged April 8, 1858. Webster, Walnut,
Market, Liberty and Washington, intersected by First, Second,
Third, Fourth, Mine, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Streets, are
shown. Between Sixth and Seventh Streets school and church
buildings are shown, each side of Mine Street a large market
place, and between Second and Third Streets a large public park.
Andrew McMaster was interested in this town, and it was he who
bought the land and asked Mr. Foster to hire a surveyor to plat
the town for $100. The latter secured Pitts, who duly received the
money consideration. Mr. Foster thinks that there never was a
cabin erected here.
Section 6, Township 31, Range 17 (three miles north of Niangua),
was platted for Josiah C. Goodline and wife. This "paper
town" contained 256 blocks, which sold for an average of $100
per lot, the date of first deeds being February, 1858. Like
Frankfort, the town was a failure, but several lots were disposed
of Niangua is situated about the center most productive and
valuable tract of farming land, 1,453 feet above sea-level, and
1,029 feet above St. Louis. It lies near the waters of the Osage
and Bowing Creeks. In the bottom lands is soil of such strength as
to produce eighty-five bushels of corn and twenty-five to thirty
bushels of wheat per acre. Niangua was surveyed in March, 1870,
for the South Pacific Railroad Company, on a part of the west half
of Section 20, Township 31, Range 17. Andrew Peirce, Jr., managing
director, acknowledged the plat. Washington, Madison and
Jefferson, intersected by Elm, Myrtle, Spruce, Main, Commercial,
Pine and Olive Streets, are shown. John J. Redmond built the first
business house on the plat, which is now occupied by Gates &
Son, and subsequently erected the greater number of houses in the
village. Mr. Redmond was also the first merchant, followed by
Whitehurst & Gates. In 1884 5. C. Crawford purchased the
Redmond store and stock; Mackie Bros. opened the Wheel store in
June, 1888. Joseph Skidmore, John F. Walton and S. Kruggs are
blacksmiths, and William Skidmore, shoemaker. The school building
was erected in 1882 (District No. 5). In it a four-months’
public school is conducted, and also a three-months’
subscription school; while the first floor is reserved for school
purposes and for the religious purposes of all denominations, and
the second floor is the property of the Masonic lodge, and in
their hall the Odd Fellows also meet. The cost of the building was
only $600, Mr. Redmond having donated the lumber. The J. J.
Redmond mill and grain elevator was erected in 1879, at a cost of
$11,000, which was one of the leading milling concerns of the
Southwest at that time. Prior to its destruction by fire in
December, 1884, entailing a loss of $17,500, some roller machinery
was introduced. For fourteen years before the change of 1884 Mr.
Redmond was postmaster, but was succeeded that year by S. C.
Crawford. During that period he was also agent for railroad and
express companies, and was succeeded in 1884 by Hampton Gates.
Lodge No. 529, A. F. & A. M., was instituted under charter
November 25, 1885 (but organized U. D. February 20, 1885), with
the following named officers: J. B. Davis, NV. M.; J. M.
Robertson, S. NV.; E. J. Coffee, J. W.; P. L. Burford, Treasurer;
J. J. Redmond, Secretary; J. C. Douglass, S. D.; S. C. Crawford,
J. D.; T. C. Clements, S. S.; D. A. Williams, J. S., and D. B.
Caple, Tyler. In the original organization J. C. Bridges was J.
W.; J. F. Gardner, S. D., and I. L. Mathis, Tyler, were officers.
The Past Masters are J. B. Davis and J. M. Robertson, who is
present Master, with the following junior officers: J. C. Douglas,
S. W.; Albert Hyde, J. W.; D. A. Williams, Treasurer; J. B. Davis,
Secretary; T. B. Young, Tyler; D. H. Dwyer, S. D.; Joseph Hyde, J.
D.; H. S. King, William Puett, Stewards. The present membership is
seven miles west of Marshfield, has only one store and blacksmith
shop, and several residences, but is a beautiful location for a
town, and also a very good trading point. Its elevation above sea
level is 1,500 feet. A colony of Germans from North Missouri
settled near Northview in November, 1883. The first Sunday-school
at this point was organized by Rev. Mr. Forrester in June, 1881,
with T. J. Welch, superintendent; George W. Cruise and Mrs.
L. Teague, assistants; Mrs. John Willis, librarian; S. B. Dugger,
secretary; Mrs. Z. T. Fanning, chorister; Rev. S. Murphy,
James Bowman, A. M. Blunt, Mrs. W. Welch and Miss Hulda Blunt,
executive committee. The Northview Library Society was organized
January 15, 1881, with J. J. Mays, president; T. J. Welch and
James Bowman, vice-presidents; A. M. Bumgarner, treasurer, and S.
B. Dugger, secretary. Among the members were Bozarth, Russell,
Graves, Daniels, Ford, Fanning, Freeman, Murphy and Willis.
Dugger & Co. were the only merchants licensed at Northview in
on the northwest of the southeast quarter of Section 24, Township
29, Range 17, was surveyed by B F. Hayhurst, but the original plat
was destroyed in the burning of the Wright County Court-house.
James River is shown meandering through southern lots. Main Street
and Webster Avenue enter the public square, while Water Street is
shown between the river and the square, intersecting Main Street.
town, surveyed for the South Pacific Railroad Company, on a part
of the southwest quarter of Section 26, Township 30, Range 19, was
acknowledged by Andrew Peirce, Jr., March 28, 1870. Washington and
Adams, running northeast, were intersected by Locust, Olive,
Commercial, Main, Pine and Elm Streets.
is on the
line between Webster and Wright Counties, on the Hartville Road.
In 1880 a few dwelling houses, a blacksmith shop, a boot and shoe
shop, a harness shop, Dr. Johnson & Son’s drug store and
Jasper Cantrell’s dry goods store, formed the nucleus of the
village. Paul Ellis then had charge of the school.
Boston comprised the dry goods stores of Robertson & Trimble
and M. Crabb, Mrs. Ketchum’s grocery, L. Pilkington’s grocery,
Trimble & Brixey’s lumber yard, David Hoover’s livery,
Lemen’s hotel, a drug store and two blacksmith shops. The fact
of the place being on the Kansas City & Missouri Railroad
brought it into prominence in the fall of the year named.
and Daniel Burford opened the first store at St. Luke, about 1846,
having moved their stock from their house, one mile west of Marsh
field, where the old log store-house is still standing. Allen E.
Goss was clerk for the Burfords at the Pleasant Prairie store, and
afterward at St. Luke. In 1851 C. F. Dryden had an interest in the
Burford store, which he held until 1852, when Lazarus Nichols and
A. E. Goss purchased the store and stock. In 1854 Mr. Goss moved
to Ebenezer, but on the new county seat being settled lie moved
hither, Mr. Nichols continuing the store at St. Luke until 1858,
when he joined Mr. Goss in business at Marshfield, selling his
goods to A. F. Hamilton. For thirty-four years there was a
post-office at St. Luke, when it was changed to Forkner Hill,
where John K. Beckner is postmaster.
Buckner is postmaster at Thorpe, in Jackson Township.
name given to the settlement on the south fork of the James,
fourteen miles southwest of Marshfield. In 1880 this little hamlet
embraced a dozen families. Dr. J. H. Williams owned the general
store, the mills and a neighboring farm, and was in fact owner of
the town and everything around it. Panther Valley Church house was
burned February 20, 1881. The building was a two-story one, the
upper floor being used for school purposes.
town, on Lot 1, southwest quarter Section 6, Township 29, Range
17, was surveyed September 15, 1874, by B. F. Hayhurst, and the
plat made by James Dunn for the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad,
and acknowledged by D. R. Garrison, president of the railroad
company. Randolph, Rogers and Yeaton, intersected by Pine, Spruce
and Olive Streets, are shown, while Teague Creek flows east and
west, north of the town, above the spring.
corner of Sections 22, 23, 26 and 27, Township 31, Range 19, was
surveyed May 1, 1868, by Richard H. Pitts. St. Louis Street, the
principal thoroughfare, is shown to be intersected by Cedar,
Chestnut and Pine Streets. Samuel Keesee was owner of the town.
Kansas City, Springfield & Memphis Railroad, 181 1/2 feet from
the southwest corner of southwest quarter Section 25, Township 29,
Range 18, was platted in October, 1887, and acknowledged on
October 12 by Cyrus H. and Sallie L. Patterson. G. L. Childress
was the only licensed merchant here in 1888.
History.-Seymour, on the north half of the southwest quarter
and south half of the northwest quarter Section 2, Township 28,
Range 17, was surveyed for Ralph and Frances Walker, who
acknowledged the plat November 4, 1881. On this plat the Kansas
City, Springfield & Memphis Railroad is shown, dividing the
town into two triangular sections. Frances, Commercial, Main,
Cordie and Charles, intersecting Garfield, Clinton and two unnamed
streets, are indicated. In 1884 a new plat was recorded, showing
Market and Center Streets and Washington Avenue. The location is
about seventeen miles southeast of the county seat, its elevation
being 1,680 feet. The first public sale of lots took place July
11, 1882, when an excursion train brought a large number of
visitors from Marshfield and Springfield. Fifteen lots on the
business street were sold, at prices ranging from $50 to $160. At
that time the following business men had opened their houses or
were completing their buildings: Robertson & Trimble, general
store; D. M. Long, dry goods, clothing, etc.;
Baden, confectionery; W. H. Miller, groceries, queensware, boots,
shoes and furniture; Drs. Tunnel and Hackney, druggists; J. R.
Lemons, hotel and transient house; D. W. Hoover, wagon yard,
livery and feed stable; Mr. Hill, restaurant.
Robertson had a tan-yard in this neighborhood prior to the war.
November, 1881, when the coming of the railroad was a
certainty, the new town began to fill up, and the business circle
included nearly all of the representative commercial interests. In
1886 a number of names belonging to the mercantile trade appear on
the records, among whom were A. B. Chapman, David Sullivan, Joseph
Jones, H. T. Little & Co., Trobridge & Wigginston.
merchants of Seymour who paid license in 1888 are named as
follows: Walter Clark, Carter & Matney, J. R. Lemons &
Co., Robertson & Trimble, Jacob Good, Morris Cohen, J. W.
Bader, S. A. Hoover, John Miller, J. W. Fuson & Co., R. S.
Hill, Elms Shultz, John Freeman, Penelope Graham, F. P. Cardwell,
Waldo, J. B. Mattock, John Miller, J. C. & S. C. Trimble, W.
B. Tunnell, M. M. Reynolds, Sig. Sivils, Reaves & Gowin. H. J.
White, John W. Nichols.
Cemetery, on the northeast quarter of Section 3, Township 28,
Range 17, was surveyed by W. J. Trimble, William B. Tunnell, AIf.
C. Heckendorn, trustees of Hazelwood Masonic Lodge, in May, 1888.
town of Seymour was incorporated February 4, 1886, on petition
of two-thirds of the inhabitants of the northeast corner of the
southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 2, Township
28, Range 17. John C. Trimble, J. P. Robertson, Dr. W. B.
Tunnell, P. S. Wilkes and J. W. Bader were appointed trustees.
Press.—The Seymour Herald was issued in May,
1888, by H. Drennan & Sons. The Enterprise, edited by
A. J. Shelton and published by J. F. Kendrick, bears the numbers
Vol. III., No. 50, on its issue of December 14, 1888.
August, 1878, the church building near the Rose farm, in the
southern part of the county, was burned, but in September
following measures were taken to build a new house of worship.
Miller’s store, at Seymour, was burned January 3, 1883,
entailing a loss of $5,000. An attempt to burn Seymour village was
made October 17, 1886, J. M. Wammack’s office being selected as
the starting point. The fire was discovered and put out.
Dale, or Waldo, or Love Ridge, may be said to be identical.
The settlement is old, and society is well established.
Mountain Dale C. T. A. was organized April 28, 1878, with Judge J.
C. Trimble, President; 1. 5. Wilson, T. C. Love and W. T. McMahan,
Vice-presidents; J. W. Thomas, C. S.; J. C. Forbes, B. S.; Mrs.
Mary Clay, Treasurer; J. L. Stafford, L. M. A. Bailey, J.
T. Hailey, Sallie Love and Jane Trimble, managers.
D. Trimble, who died in December, 1879, came from Kentucky a short
time before to take charge of Mountain Dale Seminary. Prof. C. D.
Whitman succeeded Mr. Trimble, and he, with Mrs. Trimble and
daughters, continued the school.
north of Seymour, was an important settlement years after the
old hamlet of Hazelwood passed out of existence. The Waldo
post-office was discontinued in March, 1886, and the United States
property turned over to the Seymour office. Dr. I. S. Wilson’s
house was burned August 27, 1879. Jefferson Hughes’ house, near
the village, was destroyed by fire in December, 1880.
distance southwest of Seymour that Waldo is northeast, is a postal
point, and the site of Hiram Jennings’ store.
1880, an important trading point. A traveler of that period calls
it a "cross roads" hamlet of one store, some shops and
three or four residences. Its location, eighteen miles south of
Marshfield, is in a fine farm district, and there J. R. Taggard
carries on the general mercantile trade. The building of the Gulf
Railroad and the establishment of other towns overshadowed the
was surveyed for Joseph S. Ford and Samuel B. Dugger, on Lot 2,
northeast quarter Section 6, Township 28, Range 18, and
acknowledged by them April 4, 1882. W. S. Thompson was surveyor.
The Kansas City, Springfield & Memphis Railroad and depot are
shown on the southern boundary of the village. The town of
Fordland was incorporated February 5, 1883, with James S. Taggard,
John Heckart, Fred Constans, Henry Sifert and W. M. Blansett,
trustees. The merchants who paid license in 1888 are J. H.
Williams, H. Rabenau, J. S. Taggard, J. H. Williams, Jr., W. M.
Blansett, A. C. Smith and L. Latham. The Fordland Journal, formerly
the Webster County Record, is now published at this point,
G. P. Garland being its editor. Vol. IV, No. 1, new series, was
issued December 13, 1888.
Fordland Sunday-school was organized in May, 1886, with E.
Collins, superintendent; G. Collins, secretary; T. F. Evans and
Sarah Butcher, teachers. There is a union church and school
building in the town.
Post No. 249, G. A. R.. elected the following named officers in
December, 1887: J. S. Taggard, C.; David Hardy, S. V. C.; James
Cheatham, J. V. C.; Jesse Farr, Adjutant; William Lemming,
Surgeon; M. McDales, Chaplain; S. Johnson, Q. NI.; William Lee, 0.
of D., and James Farler, 0. of G. The post then claimed sixty
members. A camp of Sons of Veterans was mustered in in the fall.
elevation of Fordland is 1,600 feet.
was surveyed by J. J. Watts, May 17, 1882, for D. M. Beaty and his
wife, Mary Beaty, on the southeast quarter of southwest quarter
Section 18, Township 28, Range 19. Bason, Clinton and Front,
intersected by Cherry, Norton, Main, Pond and Baltic, were the
names given to the streets. The location is one and three-fourths
miles south of Henderson, on the Kansas City, Springfield &
Memphis Railroad, about 220 miles northwest of Memphis, Tenn., and
a few miles east of Springfield, Mo. Its elevation is 1,475 feet
above sea level. in 1882 W. L. Davis had the only store there, but
during that winter Dr. I. N. Rogers had his drug house built,
Bails & Johnson erected their store, the Green Brothers had
commenced building, while Alderson & Adair’s large
blacksmith shop was operated by Damon Horn. Horn & Hughes, of
Henderson, were the principal grain shippers. L. C. Sams had the
first modern cottage erected there.
gunpowder explosion of March, 1884, resulted in the destruction of
W. J. Rabeneau’s store and stock, also the buildings and stock
of Green Brothers. The merchants who were licensed in 1888 are
Farmer & Boals, Beaty & Forrester, R. S. Johnson &
Co., W. L. Davis, Rogers & Horubeck.
was surveyed by J. J. Watts and J. F. Neace February 9, 1880, for
Samuel H. Caldwell, on the southeast fractional quarter of
northwest quarter Lot 1, Section 7, Township 28, Range 19. North
Row, Rockridge Row and College Row, intersected by North Street,
are shown, with the college grounds in the southwestern corner,
south of the Sherman and Brashear lots.
contributor to the Industrial World, writing of the village
of early days, says: "Henderson is a beautiful and growing
village of 300 souls, located on the new railway, in the midst of
a rich and prosperous farm region. It has a flourishing academy,
half a dozen stores, a steam flouring and sawmill, and the usual
complement of mechanic shops. The attraction of this town is the
Henderson Academy, an academic school of more than usual merit.
This institution was founded in 1879, and is under the presidency
of Prof. J. W. Thomas, assisted by an able corps of instructors.
It offers all the advantages of a comprehensive academic course,
and enjoys a high measure of prosperity. About 120 students were
catalogued in the various courses and classes in 1880, and the
present academic year opened with a large attendance. Henderson is
an admirable trading point, and has some excellent mercantile
fire occurred in December, 1880, when Duff’s dwelling was
destroyed. The fire of March 14, 1884, destroyed Horton, Morris
& McFarland’s building and stock, and a house belonging to
S. H. Caidwell, the losses of the first named firm being estimated
at about $7,000. The village lost in another fire Dr. Watt’s
store and dwelling with contents, also W. L. Davis’ Grange
store, while Horn & Hughes dry goods store was damaged.
of Labor lodge was organized at Henderson July 10, 1886.
merchants of Henderson who paid license in 1888 were J. J.
Newcomer, T. B. Horn & Son, Morris & Bouldin, W. J. James,
T. J. Sage and S. S. Lawing.
McClelland was the only merchant licensed at Compton in 1888.
This settlement is near the northwest corner of West Dallas
Township, and near the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad.
W. Young was the only merchant licensed at Duncan in 1888.
H. Davidson & Son were the only merchants licensed at
Elkland in 1888. The country in the immediate neighborhood is only
sparsely settled, but a large area of excellent land awaits
to Goodspeed History